Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The other day I was walking past a cluster of stores when I heard the song, Tubthumping, by Chumbawamba and had a flashback to Marty (cousin), Katie (sister), and myself dancing spastically around Marty's room when we were little. Right in time to the lyrics, we'd throw ourselves on the bed -- I get knocked down -- and then fling back up like rubberbands -- But I get up again. Over and and over again, our actions as repetitive as the lyrics. You ne'er gonna keep me down.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS-zK1S5Dws


This is how I feel right now with my independent project. Every time I sprawl on the bed of my own discouragement (it's happened a lot), every time I think, "This sucks" (I've thought it a lot), something happens to lift me out of this to where I love Chile! I love my project! I love my life! And I feel just as wound up as Marty, Katie, and I used to get. Kinda like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR3rK0kZFkg

What is this so called project I keep talking about? Ok, I want to investigate the art program in various public schools in order to see what kind of options high-schoolers have for creative expression. Why? Various reasons. First, Chile, especially Valparaiso, is a place where art covers the street, yet at the same time people say there is a lack of venue for kids to express themselves. Where is the disconnect? Secondly, Chile has an interesting (neo-liberal) school system with public schools, semi-private schools, and private schools. The disparity in quality of education is greater between private and public schools here than in the US, and it affects everything down to the creativity of the teachers in art programs to the art supplies kids get (at the school I was at today, they don't have paint or pastels, so they use regular ol' color pencils in the advanced art class). My idea is to have an art exposition in a cafe or gallery at the end of the month with a variety of work from high-schoolers who are especially interested in art.

A month sounded like a long time to get the project done --- until I twiddled my thumbs for a whole week. With no teachers to talk to, no students to talk to, no school to go to I felt very discouraged. Many very friendly and helpful people were helping me with connections, but none of them were coming together completely. When my advisor suggested I go to Quillota, an hour away, where she knows a director at a public high school, I was a little hesitant because it's so far away, but thought I might as well get started.

And I loved it! My friend Samantha, who's studying history curriculum in Chilean schools, and I trekked a couple towns over and made our way to the school, where we were very welcomed. Not only did I have my first interview (successful), but we met another gringa there who is teaching there. (I might just have to come back over after graduating and teach a lil ingles). So, I'm going back to attend a class, talk to some students, and have another interview!

It's all happening!

                                                          
Footnote: Luckily I think He drinks a Whisky drink, he drinks a vodka drink, he drinks a lager drink...pissin the night away from Tubthumpin mostly went over my head when I was about six, but I do remember Marty reassuring me that "pissing" wasn't a bad word in this context because it means drinking in British.

Love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment